Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Questions April 6

 Let's all ask questions again, this time with a thought of putting them to the author directly when he visits on the13th. 

  • Do you habitually socialize with anyone whose politics you do not know? Have you ever? (If No and Yes, what changed?)
  • Talisse, as I've mentioned, is not a sports fan. But don't spectator sports come as close as anything in our culture to bridging political divisions and bringing people together for occasions in which politics is simply irrelevant? (Well, now that we no longer have a POTUS tweeting about Colin Kaepernick etc.)
  • Are you conscious of any specific consumer "brand" preferences you hold simply because they conform to your sense of political identity (Starbucks or Dunkin, Target or Wal-mart, etc.)?
  • Are there any non-democratic political systems that avoid division, polarization, etc., at a cost worth the exchange? 
  • Are you persuaded that Dewey and Addams were wrong to say that “the ills of democracy can be cured by more democracy"? *
  • Is it possible to both (1) agree with Talisse that our democracy would benefit from less polarization and more recognition of social contexts in which politics is irrelevant, and (2) think such a benefit negligible in light of the influence of "dark money," misinformation, and general dishonesty--the sorts of things documented by Nancy MacLean and Kurt Andersen--in our politics?
  • This may be impertinent but I can't resist: Has "robust" been overused in public discourse (not to mention OD) lately? 
  • Add yours, please (and feel free to answer your own and others' questions)
  



 


 

COMMENT?:
  • "Democratic politics is tearing us apart." 3
  • "...we need to occasionally do something other than politics." 4
  • "...we must reserve spaces within our social environments for... projects in whi...ch politics is simply beside the point." 5
  • "More and better politics cannot be the solution... politics is the problem." 7
  • "According to [philosophical anarchists], democracy is nothing but the illusion of political rule among equals." 13
  • "...democratic societies tend to be adept at protecting the civil liberties and basic rights of their citizens" 14
  • "the cure for some of democracy's ills is to do less, not more, democracy" 21 *
  • "Our conceptions of a good neighbor, dependable coworker, and responsible parent are now likely to be infused with our political allegiances..." 23
  • "...in collectively retreating from politics, we thereby acquiesce in the political status quo" 26
  • "everything is political" [is not equivalent to] "everything is politics" 30
  • "the point of democracy is to foster valuable human relationships and lives that are devoted... to meaningful projects that lie beyond the struggles of politics" 36
  • "...workplaces and classrooms generally are not spaces where open political discussion and deliberation among equal citizens can commence" 47
  • "Those who oppose the kneeling [of athletes] should also oppose the playing of the national anthem" 48
  • "...Rousseau, who saw democracy as 'a form of association...by means of which each one, while uniting with all, nevertheless obeys only himself and remains as free as before" 51
  • "it is obvious that 'one person, one vote' is not sufficient for treating individuals as equals" 55
  • "Where social standing is unequal due to the preservation of ...bigotry, discrimination, and unjust bias...the participatory conception [of democracy] offers little remedy" 58
  • "expressions of bigoted attitudes, no matter how popular, do not serve as reasons, and so cannot provide grounds for a democratic outcome" 61
  • "reinforcing their prejudices, marginalizing their critics, and assembling silos of like-minded fellow citizens" 66
  • "the liberating capacity of modern technology might be largely illusory" 79
  • "certain professions--banking, technology, education, law, and medicine--now skew decidedly along partisan lines" 82-3
  • "conservatives and liberals...drink different beer, drive different cars, follow different sports teams..." 90


* Dewey almost certainly did not say "the solution to the ills of Democracy is more Democracy."

It is an old quote, attributed to many people, usually old progressive politicians. One person that did say something very close to this is # Jane Addams, who was closely associated with Dewey.

Dewey might have agreed with this statement, but only with a heaping pile of qualifications.

Mostly this is because Dewey’s conception of democracy was far richer and more expansive than the simple one dimensional conception of democracy as a form of government.

For Dewey, democracy is a way of life that exists primarily in the meanings and values and beliefs of individuals in their interactions with each other. It is part of the character and behavior of individuals that they can choose to affirm, not some external fact about how a government somewhere is organized:
we can escape from this external way of thinking only as we realize in thought and act that democracy is a personal way of individual life; that it signifies the possession and continual use of certain attitudes, forming personal character and determining desire and purpose in all the relations of life. [LW14:226]
In this conception of democracy, Dewey saw the promise of the full development of individual and society.
From the standpoint of the individual, it consists in having a responsible share according to capacity in forming and directing the activities of the groups to which one belongs and in participating according to need in the values which the groups sustain. From the standpoint of the groups, it demands liberation of the potentialities of members of a group in harmony with the interests and good which are in common. [LW 2:327-328].
Democracy for Dewey then represented the possibility of individuals participating in shaping their own futures collectively in how they treated others and formed new and shared aims to determine their fate together. It is also the ultimate belief in the power of action informed by faith in the possibilities of human life, achievement and intelligent judgement..

In this light, the original quote seems fairly simplistic, kind of a political one liner, and certainly not in line with Dewey’s conception of democracy. For Dewey, democracy was an ideal, but one that is worth striving for, as there are no real alternatives. So the “ills” of political democracy might indeed by ameliorated by a search for more fundamentally democratic forms of living (maybe!). Quora

==

* What Dewey actually did say, in The Public and Its Problems (1927)... 

The old saying that the cure for the ills of democracy is more democracy is not apt if it means that the evils may be remedied by introducing more machinery of the same kind as that which already exists, or by refining and perfecting that machinery. But the phrase may also indicate the need of returning to the idea itself, of clarifying and deepening our apprehension of it, and of employing our sense of its meaning to criticize and remake its political manifestations. 119

And, 

We have every reason to think that whatever changes may take place in existing democratic machinery, they will be of a sort to...enable the public to form and manifest its purposes still more authoritatively. In this sense the cure for the ailments of democracy is more democracy. The prime difficulty, as we have seen, is that of discovering the means by which a scattered, mobile and manifold public may so recognize itself as to define and express its interests. This discovery is necessarily precedent to any fundamental change in the machinery... 121

 



# Jane Addams

Nearly a century before the advent of "multiculturalism," Jane Addams put forward her conception of the moral significance of diversity. Each member of a democracy, Addams believed, is under a moral obligation to seek out diverse experiences, making a daily effort to confront others' perspectives. Morality must be seen as a social rather than an individual endeavor, and democracy as a way of life rather than merely a basis for laws. Failing this, both democracy and ethics remain sterile, empty concepts.

In Democracy and Social Ethics, Addams's earliest book on ethics--presented here with a substantial introduction by Charlene Haddock Seigfried--she reflects on the factors that hinder the ability of all members of society to determine their own well-being. Observing relationships between charitable workers and their clients, between factory owners and their employers, and between household employers and their servants, she identifies sources of friction and shows how conceiving of democracy as a social obligation can lead to new, mutually beneficial lines of conduct. She also considers the proper education of workers, struggles between parents and their adult daughters over conflicting family and social claims, and the merging of politics with the daily lives of constituents.

"The sphere of morals is the sphere of action," Addams proclaims. It is not enough to believe passively in the innate dignity of all human beings. Rather, one must work daily to root out racial, gender, class, and other prejudices from personal relationships.

Jane Addams (1860-1935) was a social activist, Progressive reformer, and author of many books of social criticism. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1931. Charlene Haddock Seigfried, a professor of philosophy at Purdue University, is the author of Pragmatism and Feminism: Reweaving the Social Fabric.


17 comments:

  1. Is this suppression of political thought, if civic engagement free from belief polarization activation can even be conceptualized, a luxury to be undertaken by those who have less to lose by taking a step back?
    If you’re living in an underserved community, and have an interest in raising awareness of political issues which stand to change or save lives in that community, how can you take a break and who can you trust in a deadlocked political system to get that issue on the ballot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is an important question, one we'll want to try and pose in more than one way. Seems to me those whose interests have been historically under-served, whose very recognition as democratic equals has been withheld, do not have the luxury of "civic friendship" in which politics is irrelevant. That's a luxury reserved for those whose "playing field" is level, and has been.

      Delete
    2. Exactly, our democracy has been an experiment for the world to observe, gauging their own measures of inclusion and equality based on our successes and failures. I've been listening to a podcast, Renegades: Born in the USA,
      and they talk about our stance in the world and how when we're getting it right it's inspirational to those nations who remain hopeful that our ideals might be realized; but, when we're getting it wrong we're not only failing ourselves, but we're causing diminishing hope for citizens of other nations as well.
      I think this notion of taking a step back when we haven't reached our goals seems only to benefit those privileged Americans whose current reality is relatively comfortable, safe, and secure. For everyone else, this conversation may be difficult and get in the way of having a laugh at the park , taking a stand against those who remain an obstacle to progress takes priority over befriending those who might not see you as an equal.

      https://open.spotify.com/episode/78Ay1sSQNxr4KXUDamsLgt?si=ZbkNSf15SmSII-uEsG_vYQ

      Delete
  2. "conservatives and liberals...drink different beer, drive different cars, follow different sports teams..." 90

    I don't necessarily agree with this. I have some close friends that I have many things in common with, but we don't share the same political views. We are able to enjoy time together enjoying similar interests, restaurants, and sporting events while also staying true to our own political beliefs. While I may not agree with someone else's views, I am open-minded enough to listen and respectfully disagree with them. I try to avoid discussing politics most of the time (especially with those that I know don't share my views). On the rare occasions when politics are discussed, we are able to amicably talk about things (even when we disagree) and the friendship is never jeopardized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish everyone had your attitude!!!!

      Delete
    2. Agreed. Politics isn't what brought my friends and I together. Our common interests did. We don't talk politics much, but if we do, we're respectful of the other's opinions even if we don't agree.

      Delete
  3. When dealing with brands and retail stores ,such as Publix,Target,or Walmart I don’t shop at these stores because of political branding. I shop at these stores because they have the products I need. Publix for instance is the main grocery stop my family shops at is because the quality of food and service you receive is top class. Ms. Carol Jenkins is one of the former owners of Publix, her dad George was the founder of Publix and she was a strong supporter of the former president. The fact that she supported Trump doesn't deter me from shopping at the store just because I didn't agree politically. At one point I worked at Publix, now my daughter works there.That is brand loyalty to me. I wear Nike shoes because I wore them growing up and they're running shoes are the best.Yes politics plays a major role now in brands but I’ll never buy something just for the reason of politics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know who said this but it's so true..."If we all thought alike nothing would ever get done." We need to embrace the differences, both within ourselves, and others around us. Why does that seem so hard to do sometimes?! And why do so many automatically call the the other's view "wrong" or "hurtful" when it doesn't agree with theirs's? I believe that until we learn to shut up and listen, we're doomed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need to learn from those who are different or have different views from our own. I think part of the problem is many people don't really WANT to listen. They're too busy waiting for the other person to finish so they can make their point.

      Delete
  5. Am I overdoing democracy? I would venture to say that yes I am. So many "friends" revealed themselves to me over the last election cycle. Especially, after I found out that they still pledged an allegiance to a wannabe authoritarian demigod that stirred an insurrection upon our government. I am afraid I took a "be damned with the high road" approach and unfriended many lifelong acquaintances, friends and even relatives. I was so overwhelmed by their ignorance and blind support that I am not sure that I can have relationships with these people again. All in all I think I dropped around 150 people from my Facebook feed and most of these were people that I had known from my small hometown.
    So now, as the smoke has passed, I question myself maybe I was too passionate about my politics and that there will always be some animosity and ranker that exist between parties. However, when it comes to you supporting someone who violently tried to overthrow our government, I have to say am not finding much room for common ground or harmonious relationships when it comes to these these so called "patriots".
    Have we entered an era that we have not experienced before in modern times? Are the issues that are fueling the fire in both campsconsuming the best of our thoughts and our daily lives? I must admit they have been for me over the last several months and obviously taking up these issues in a classroom setting has not helped to take my focus off the instability within our democracy. Yet, this class has been rewarding in trying to give perspective, open thought and conversation about the future of our country.
    One of my relatives instant messaged me last week questioning if my wife and I had unfriended her on social media because of her support of our last President. She is a former teacher that holds master degrees in psychology and sociology from this very university as well as a Southern Baptist and an evangelical. She is married to a Vietnam Veteran that bleeds red, white and blue. I didn't answer her instant message. In the words of the Dixie Chicks, "I am not ready to play nice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a super political person. I just know what I believe in and what I don't. The 2016 election was difficult because many of my friends were Trump supporters (I am/was not). I'll be honest, I did think less of them because I couldn't understand how they could support someone with so little morals, values, etc. It baffled me that Christians supported the man while his actions actions/words did not reflect those values. I tried to listen to their reasoning, but to this day, I still cannot comprehend it. I didn't go as far as unfriending people, but I definitely unfollowed them so that their ignorant (and annoying) posts didn't pop up in my news feed.

      Delete
  6. Do you habitually socialize with anyone whose politics you do not know? Have you ever? (If No and Yes, what changed?)

    I am an extrovert, and I do not see that changing any time soon. And until the past few years, I think I probably thought about the politics of the other person very little. But I feel guess of the other person's politics.
    I rarely get into a debate with someone I don't know about politics though. From my experience, I don't typically agree politically with a large percentage of people who like to talk about politics with people they don't know. I will discuss it with my friends, but not at too much length. It isn't the uplifting topic I wish it could be.
    I think what changed, though, is that often there seems to be very little desire for discussion, but rather name-calling and exasperation. It doesn't ever seem to really go anywhere, as so many people aren't willing to listen to the other side. And I am as guilty as anyone. I try, but some of it seems so absurd that I would rather just talk about something else. I feel that debates about sports are just as heated, but if having a discussion over beers about sports, the beers will usually get finished and the world goes on. Having a discussion of politics over the same beers, especially with a stranger, is much more likely to get more heated.
    I wasn't really as overt with my politics until a few years ago, and have only gotten more so, but I guess I felt I didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talisse, as I've mentioned, is not a sports fan. But don't spectator sports come as close as anything in our culture to bridging political divisions and bringing people together for occasions in which politics is simply irrelevant? (Well, now that we no longer have a POTUS tweeting about Colin Kaepernick etc.)

    Yes, I do agree with this. I have season tickets, and we tailgate before the game and sit with a group during the game that we have gleaned during conversation that we do not agree with politically. And during the Kaepernick thing, I got asked about it. I said my peace, the other guy didn't understand it, and walked away frustrated.
    We scored a couple of minutes later, and we hugged and high fived.
    Same game, someone in our group talked during the whole National Anthem about how respectful we are because we stand during the National Anthem, but yet he was talking the entire time. I think I felt like the guy that asked me about Kaepernick. I didn't get it. But whatever.
    The games bring us together, and politics just isn't something we discuss a lot, because we know it isn't going to get us anywhere. I have made it pretty clear that it would take more effort on their part than they are willing to exert to change my mind, and I feel like they are pretty dug in too. And that is fine. Because for those 5-6 hours on 10 Sundays a year, it doesn't matter. Then during the week, we will go back and forth on social media about it, then rinse and repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you habitually socialize with anyone whose politics you do not know? Have you ever? (If No and Yes, what changed?)

    Socializing with people who share different political views than myself was something I became more aware of and accepted. In the workplace especially, you are going to encounter individuals who may share the same (or different) view as you: in those situations I've learned to avoid talking about politics all together because I don't want to create tension or have a confrontation with someone I know in the workplace. In Ch 2, Talisse talked about “ . . .social contexts where it would be difficult or impossible for citizens to hold each other to the standards of citizenship”, with one of those examples being how to socialize with individuals we do not regularly interact with, such as during a family reunion or holiday (45). I am bisexual, and I work with someone who does not believe that men should not marry men and women should not marry women because “that is not what God intended for a man and woman to do” (their exact words). This is just a subject I choose not to bring up because I know that it will upset me, so I find other things to talk about that are more open to other topics that are not based on politics and/or a topic I know will upset myself and/or my colleague.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I was reading the book, I couldn't help but feel like there were so many people left out of the conversation in regards to “overdoing democracy”. Who is Talisse leaving out of the conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Those who oppose the kneeling [of athletes] should also oppose the playing of the national anthem"

    Protests against racism and police brutality were taking place around the world couple of months. One of the nonviolent forms of demonstration is mass kneeling. In 2016, American football player Colin Kaepernick was the first to make such a gesture, who wanted to draw attention to the brutality of the uniformed services. The player fell to his knee during the American anthem before the matches, causing an enormous discussion in the nation. I have read the articles, and not many citizens of America agree with athletes to protest this way. (around 30-35%). I believe in athlete's intention to change the world for the better, and if that gestures can make any impact to support the protests from the past like BLM, I am with them. Everyone wants to live in a peaceful, not corrupted world where people get treated equally. There should not be times when people even should consider opposing the national anthem. As citizens of all countries, we should always be guided in our actions and obligations by openness, observance of the principles of equality, tolerance, and equality towards all people, regardless of their place of residence, color, religion, and political views. I believe in change in actions, and I believe in people who take care of each other by making the community they live in a better one.

    ReplyDelete

Jazz, “the only unhampered, unhindered expression of complete freedom…”

[Duke Ellington's] autobiography was  Music is My Mistress  (1973) ,  in which he said, "Jazz is a good barometer of freedom. In it...